This ISO9001 certified Department has been accredited by NBA (National Board of Accreditation) in 2003. It also has well-equipped state-of-the-art laboratories.
Scope of the Department
- To apply the concepts of mathematics, science, and engineering effectively.
- To design, analyse and interpret data through experiments.
- To identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- To understand professional and ethical responsibility.
- To communicate effectively.
- To broaden the education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- To use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The undergraduates from this department have become professional engineers, and are employed both in core and software companies. They are well represented at core companies, such as Robert Bosch, Qualcomm, Aricent Group, Wipro R&D and as well as smaller start-up companies. They have become successful Software developers and Managers in the leading software companies, such as Thoughtworks, Infosys, Cognizant Technology Solutions, HCL Technologies, TCS, IGate, etc. Many of our students pursue higher education and obtain MS, MBA and PhD degrees in foreign universities. Also, some of the undergraduates are working in Public sector units, such as BSNL, National Thermal Power Corporation(NTPC) Ltd, DRDO, ISRO, BHEL, BEL, IGCAR, etc. The department has signed MOUs with international and national universities such as Brigham Young University, USA University of Catania, Italy, DIAT-Pune etc. In addition to this, MOUs are also signed with corporates like TATA Elexsi, Alcatel Lucent, BIG CAT Wireless etc., to support student internship programme and industrial projects.
To improve Teaching-Learning Process
The department offers continuous learning through various conferences, faculty development programmes (FDP), short-term training programmes (STTP) and workshop.
- The department’s annual conference WISPNET technically co-sponsored by IEEE is a mega event which hosts keynote address from eminent researchers and academicians across the globe.
- To meet the needs of local community the department organizes a national conference called NCICT every year which is the culmination of delegates from various levels including IITs and NITs.
- Tech Club – An initiative by student community for knowledge transfer
- Review by external expert members for academic student projects and SSN internally funded student projects
- SSN Research Day – incentives/awards for best research done by faculty/students
- SSN Doctorate Scholar Day – incentives/awards for best research done by research scholars
- SSN Undergraduate Researchers Day – motivation for early researchers at the UG level
- Research seminar given every alternate Saturday to faculty and research scholars
- Guest Lectures by alumni and other eminent persons for career guidance
- Internship for students in industry (Tata Elxsi, SETS, SAMEER & INSA)
- International internship for students
- In-plant training for students
- Placement cell arranges campus placements for students (core companies, software companies).
- E – cell activities SYCON, Teach a school, etc.
- Incubation centre & Innovation Centre
SSN is always committed to quality research. In line with the institute’s vision in research and development, the faculty members are actively engaged in the research of the following core topics in electronics and communication engineering
- Applied Electromagnetics
- Speech and Image processing
- Cyber-physical system
- Microelectronics & Nanoelectronics
- Wireless communication & Networks
- Underwater acoustic communication
The department has acquired projects from several national agencies such as DST, AICTE, NIOT, BRNS, ISRO, IGCAR, Tamilnadu Forrest Department, AICRP, etc. As of 2020, the department has successfully completed 21 projects worth Rs.3.63 crore and is currently executing 9 projects worth of Rs. 2.7 crore. Some of the labs developed using these funds are
- MEMS & Material Lab
- Antenna & RF Testing Lab
- Textronics Design & Development Lab
- Underwater Acoustic Research Lab
The outcome of the faculty research is published in major research journals indexed by Clarivate Analytics. In the last five years, the department has published over 300 international journals which include IEEE transactions, magazines and letters. In addition to this, the faculty research has also been published in reputed international conferences in India and aboard.
To inculcate research practices in the student community, the department offers national and international internships in reputed universities and industries. To name a few, the students of the department are encouraged regularly to take up international internships offered by universities in Italy, Japan, and the USA. The students are also taking up internship offers from PSUs of the government of India and several other institutes of national importance.
Consultancy and Patents
The department has generated revenue of Rs. 4.62 Lakh through consultancies from government and private organizations. The areas of consultancy include RF and microwave measurements, underwater acoustics testing etc. The faculty in the department have filed 27 Indian Patents.
Our faculty and students are actively involved in participating competitions organized by the state and the central government organizations.
- Dr. S. Radha, and Dr. B. S. Sreeja, as mentors participated in Smart India Hackathon 2019 at IIT Jamshedpur with Mr. Yogesh V. Narayan,Mr. J. Shakthivelu, Mr. S. P. Jayanth, Mr. U. Sampath Kumar, Mr. K. Raj Vignesh and Ms. G. Poojah. The team won first prize worth Rs. 75,000/-.
- Dr. K. Muthumeenakshi, and Dr. R. Hemalatha, as mentors participated in Smart India Hackathon 2019 at B.V. Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering & Technology, Hubli, Karnataka with Ms. S. Sneha, Ms. R. Sriharini, Ms. D. Supriya, Mr. P. Rokesh Kumar, Mr S. Surya kumaran, Mr. Shaik Afnaan The team won first prize worth Rs. 75,000/-.
- From 8th to 12th Jul. 2019, Dr. W. Jino Hans, Asso. Prof. participated as a mentor for the team “Infinity Clones” in Smart India Hackathon – Hardware Edition 2019 held at IISER, Pune. The student participants were: Ms. D. P. Sharavanee, Ms. M. P. Shwetha, Ms. R. Kirthana, Mr. Aparajith Srinivasan from III year and Mr. S. Surendran & Mr. S. Suryaprakash from III year/Chemical. The team won first prize worth Rs. 75,000/-.
- The team, Brainstorm Troopers comprised of Indulakshmi S (2014-2018 batch) [Team Leader], S S Ramachandran, Sasidharan V, A Uma, Amirthavarshini S (2015-2019 batch) and Sriram V (2016-2020 batch), was accompanied by their mentor, Prof. Dr. A Jawahar. in Smart India Hackathon – Hardware Edition 2018 at Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIO), Chandigarh.
- 3 other teams from SSN participated at Smart India Hackathon 2019
- Ms. G. Monisha and Ms. D.S. Karthika, IV ECE, under the mentorship of Dr. S. Radha, Prof. & Head received an amount of Rs. 1,00,000/- as Part of Carbon Zero Challenge (CZC), IITM
- Rajeshwar. S participated in ‘Oracle Think Quest’ held at San Francisco, California. Won a Apple Macbook and cash award of $1000
- D. Sam Sundar and Girish Vaithyanathan won an iPad mini at the contest organized by Latent View
- 6 students reached finals in SMART INDIA Hackathon 2018 at GNIT, Kolkatta
Placements & Higher Education
For the past fifteen years, over 90% of the eligible students of the department are placed in reputed companies such as Paypal, Qualcomm, Caterpillar, Amazon, Soliton, Mckinsey, Citibank, etc.
To create an awareness about placements and higher education, the department conducts a yearly programme “A day with Alumni with future Alumni”. The resource persons for this programme is our alumni working in various reputed core and IT companies. They provide valuable insights regarding preparation for job interviews, expectations of the companies and work etiquette required during the job. Furthermore, the final year students share their experience of placement activities with third year students. In addition to that, the students have excelled in higher studies by regularly obtaining admits from Ivy League universities and renowned universities in India.
Placement Details for the last four years
- Batch – 2017 – 21 – Click Here
- Batch – 2016 -20 – Click Here
- Batch – 2015 – 19 – Click Here
- Batch – 2014 -18 – Click Here
The details of the department activities are published in biannual newsletter “Impulse” which serves as a window of the department.