The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) was established in the year 1996 since the inception of the college. The primary objective of CSE department is to provide a high quality computer science education to students from all over India as well as abroad and across all economic strata. The department offers an undergraduate degree program B.E(CSE) and a postgraduate degree program M.E(CSE). In 2006, the department was recognized as a Centre for Research, by Anna University to offer a Ph.D. program.
The undergraduate program B.E (CSE) has been reaccredited by NBA in 2021 and the postgraduate program M.E (CSE) has been accredited by NBA in 2016. The department has state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, Wi-Fi enabled class rooms with laptops to facilitate e-Learning, a well-equipped seminar hall and a well-stocked department library.
- Dedicated and highly qualified faculty members who inculcate both theoretical knowledge and practical skills to the students in a balanced manner.
- Moodle Learning Management System (LMS) which hosts individual course pages comprising the syllabus, lesson plan, lecture notes and reading materials. The pedagogy used is primarily learner centric.
- Periodical guest lectures by illustrious academics from well-known universities or seasoned experts from several prestigious companies.
- Several workshops on emerging technologies for the benefit of students to supplement their curriculum. This facilitates our students to enrich their knowledge and also be up to date on current industry trends.
- Active student chapters of professional societies such as ACM, CSI and IEEE as well as a CodeChef campus chapter which regularly conduct coding competitions and sessions on open-source software development.
- Short Term Training Programs (STTP), Faculty Development Programs (FDP) and National Seminars sponsored by AICTE, Anna University and ACM Education Committee.
- Yearly, international conferences and national conferences to get deeper insights in the recent areas of research.
- Almost all faculty members are recognized Ph.D. supervisors for pursuing research in Anna University, Chennai.
- At present, twenty two part time research scholars and ten full time research scholars are pursuing their Ph.Ds.
- Ten patents have been filed by the faculty members of the Department, out of which four have been published in the Indian Patent Journal.
- External funded projects from various funding agencies such as DST, AICTE, Tamil Virtual academy, CSI, Chellammal Agro Agency, Nvidia, BIRAC and ISRO have been completed.
- MoUs with Caterpillar Ltd., Manatec Electronics Private Limited, Pondicherry, Vimana Technologies Pvt. Ltd (Group Company of Aspec Scire Inc), Bangalore, Intellect Design Arena, Sigaram Technologies, ACI Automation facilitates the students to pursue summer/winter internships and faculty to engage in collaborative consultancy research projects.
- Every year, around 50 students from the department pursue summer internships at prestigious companies including Google, Amazon, SAP Labs, Microsoft, to name a few.
- Outreach program on “Bringing Computational Thinking to Schools” was organized jointly with Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) and ACM CSpathshala. Teachers from schools of different boards (State, CBSE, ICSE, IGCSE) participated.
- An intensive training Program on the “Basics of Cyber Crime Investigation for the Sub-Inspectors of Police”, Cyber Crime Wing, Tamil Nadu was organised for 183 Sub-Inspectors in three batches during 25-29 January 2020, 3-8, February 2020 and 24-29 February 2020.