April 29, 2020
Dr. M. Senthil Kumaran – Associate Professor
Dr. M.Senthil Kumaran obtained B.E, and M.E., both from University of Madras (1999 & 2001) and his Ph.D from Anna University (2013). He has 22 years of teaching experience. His area of Specialization includes Applied Electronics & System Dynamics for Control. He is currently working in the area of Feedback Control and its application in Robotic and Flying machine systems. He has published 20 papers in proceedings of international conferences and 40 research publications in referred international journals.
His current work is to focus majorly in designing modules to achieve “Engineering Education made Practical inside the class room – A vision “
He has developed three modules related to his vision,
- ”The adventures of NAND gate” – Design of a microcontroller using only NAND Gates (Through FPGA – System generator MATLAB Interface) from the scratch. In this module, the students are taught to design a microcontroller using the all ideas of digital electronics. Finally, the students are taught to design an assembler and therefor to write a small google game to play with the microcontroller. This module is for teaching Digital Electronics, Microcontrollers and Microprocessor and Computer architecture.
- “The Journey with the Aerothrust Pendulum” – Design of a feedback linearization controller using Newtonian mechanics for an Aerothrust pendulum. In this module, the students are taught system identification, controller design, stability analysis ( root locus & frequency response) and state-space analysis practically with the developed module. This module is a complete hardware package for teaching all the necessary concepts of a control system.
- “The self-balancing ROBOT” – Controller design through lagrangian mechanics for a robot to balance on two wheels. This module is under development and will be useful in teaching advanced control topics.
Project Completed / Ongoing
1. Title: Study and Control of Weak grid-connected Matrix converter based DFIG Systems
Funding Agency: CWET / MNRE (Ministry of India)
Investigators: Dr. Ranganath Muthu and Dr. M. Senthil Kumaran
Duration: 2011 – 2015 (Completed)
Amount: Rs. 7.4 lakhs
2. Title: Non-Invasive Measurement of Blood sugar
Funding Agency: MHRD (Innovation Cell Govt of India)
Student Investigator: Sriram S, Vignesh R &Vikram AS
Mentor & Department Supervisor: L.Suganthi & Dr. M. Senthil Kumaran
Duration: 2019 – 2020 (Completed)
Amount: Rs. 10 lakhs
3.Title: Deposition and optimization of strontium niobate thin films as efficient UV transparent conducting electrode
Funding Agency: Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar Trust
Investigators: Dr. M. Senthil Kumaran & Mr. C. Balaji (SSN Research Centre)
Duration: 2020 – 2022 (Extended and Ongoing)
Amount: Rs. 3.5 lakhs