May 5, 2020
Dr. N. Sivakumar – Professor & Head Of the Department
B.E., M.E (Structural Engg), Ph.D. (University of Malaya)
Professor and Head of the Department
- PhD (Concrete Technology) (University of Malaya)
- M.E. (Structural Engineering) (NIT Tiruchirapalli)
- B.E. (Civil Engineering) (NIT Tiruchirapalli)
- Dip. In Civil Engineering
- October 2019 – present, Professor and Head, Civil Engineering.
- December 2018- September 2019- Professor, Civil Engineering, SSN College of Engineering.
- March 2014 – November 2018, Associate Professor, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- March 2008 – Feb 2014, Senior lecturer, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia
- Sep 2006- Feb 2008, Lecturer, American Degree Program, Sunway College, Malaysia.
- Sep 2000-Aug 2006, Lecturer, SEGi College, Malaysia.
- June 1995- July 2000, Lecturer, and civil construction & maintenance engineer, Shanmugha Polytechnic (SASTRA University campus), Tamil Nadu.
- Nov 1994- May 1995, Engineer, Trafalgar House Construction (I) Ltd, India.
- June 1986- Oct 1994, Instructor, Department of Civil Engineering, Shanmugha Polytechnic.
- International Professional Engineer Int.PE(India).
- Professional Engineer, PE(India).
- Senior Professional Engineer, Engineering Council of India.
- Chartered Engineer with Institution of Engineers India (C.Eng).
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers India (FIE).
- Fellow, Association of Consulting Civil Engineers india.
- Graduate member, Institution of Civil Engineers, UK (GMICE).
- Life member, Indian Society for Technical Education (MISTE).
- Life member, Indian Concrete Institute.
- Life member, Indian Geotechnical Society (MIGS).
- Fellow, The council of Engineering and Technology, (FCET) India.
Awards and Recognition:
- Outstanding concrete teacher award from Indian Concrete Institute Chennai centre and Ultratech Cement Ltd, 2021.
- Certificate of excellence for the highest number of Scopus indexed journal publication- 2016, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia
- Most outstanding paper award (published in high impact journal) 2011/2012, Universiti Tenaga Nasional.
- Outstanding teaching award in College of Engineering, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, for the year 2009/2010 (top 10 in COE).
- Popular and memorable lecturer award 2011 (Top 5) at Universiti Tenaga Nasional.
- Bronze medal, Malaysia Technology Expo 2013 (MTE 2013).
- Silver medal, International invention, innovation and technology expo 2013 (ITEX’13).
- Listed in the Marquis Who’s Who in the world 2014 (31st edition) biographic database, Marquis Who’s Who, USA.
- A cash award of INR 100,000 at Shanmugha polytechnic (SASTRA campus), Tirumalaisamudram, Thanjavur in appreciation of my sincerity, integrity, and honesty during my tenure as construction and maintenance engineer of Shanmugha campus (2000).
- The class first in all semesters of B.Eng and M.Eng courses at regional engineering college, Tiruchirapalli, India.
- Accreditation assessor of Malaysian Qualification Agency – 2015.
- Member of the technical committee for RC code development and revision for SIRIM Malaysia- 2017.
Courses taught :
- 2018- present: Design of steel structures, Structural Analysis II, Construction Materials, Concrete Technology.
- 2008-2018: Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Structural analysis 1&2, RC design 1, for B.Eng Civil; Advanced structural analysis, Advanced concrete technology, and Construction materials, assessment and rehabilitation for M.Eng at UNITEN, Malaysia.
- 2006-2008: Statics, Dynamics for Western Michigan University True Twinning Programme at Sunway College, Malaysia.
- 2000 to 2006: Structural analysis, Structural design, Structural dynamics and stability to B.Eng civil of University Putra Malaysia; Mechanics of materials, Fluid mechanics, Engineering mechanics for SEGI College Diploma; Structures and mechanics for University of Tasmania Bridging; Structural analysis for University of Southern Queensland distance learning at SEGi college Malaysia.
Research Interest :
Waste utilisation, sustainable materials including alternative cementitious composites, controlled low-strength material, concrete technology, smart materials, the structural use of cold-formed steel sections, repair and strengthening of structural elements, preservation of heritage structures and low-cost construction.
- Graduated 3 PhD students (from Jordan, Singapore and India), Four M.Eng students (Iraq, Malaysia)
Research and Consultancy:
- Use of waste quarry dust and seashore sand in developing manufactured sand. Institution of Engineers India, R&D Grant in aid scheme, INR30000.
- Development of bubble deck slab as an alternative to conventional RC slab. SSN student-funded project INR 30000.
- Proposis Juliflora in concrete. SSN student-funded project INR 30000.
- Development of river sand alternative using waste material. SSN student-funded project INR 25000.
- Geopolymer mortar using bottom ash. SSN student-funded project INR 28000.
- Thermal behaviour of cenosphere filled mortar. SSN student-funded project INR 21000.
- Use of Incineration Slag as Controlled low-strength Material, Research grant from the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. RM 3 700.
- Use of incinerator ash as construction material, MOSTI, IRPA Grant, Government of Malaysia, RM 180,596.
- Industrial Waste Incineration Bottom Ash in Controlled Low Strength Material, Research grant from the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. RM 29 000.
- The use of incinerator slag for self-compacting controlled low strength material, Research grant from the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. RM 16 500.
- Self-compacting sand concrete using quarry dust and fly ash, Research grant from Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Kajang, Malaysia. RM 22 300.
- Effect of adding micro silica on the performance of bricks made using bottom and fly ashes. Research grant from Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia, RM 30000.
- Development of brick using thermal power plant bottom ash and fly ash. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Use of Recycled Concrete Aggregate in Controlled Low-Strength Material (CLSM). Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Effect of Water Temperature on Concrete Properties. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Use of billet scale as partial replacement of sand in concrete. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Repair effectiveness of damaged RC beams with web opening using CRFP and steel plates. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Development of brick using industrial wastes. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Improvement of Class F fly ash against pozzolanicity. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Influence of casting and curing environments on the performance of silica fume. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Properties and usage of worn and crumb tire in Silica fume concrete. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- The use of coal fly ash in high strength concrete. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Post buckling analysis of cold formed steel sections. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Development of alternate cementitious material using calcium carbide residue and flyash. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Behaviour of CFS composite columns strengthened with CFRP. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia.
- Multi-phase analysis of effective thermal conductivity of shape-stable PCM mortar to improve thermal inertia of buildings. Govt of Malaysia grant (FRGS), RM102,000.
- Enhancing the properties of thermal power plant bottom ash by chemical leaching for use as sand replacement in construction material. Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia grant RM 23000.
- Inception report for reduction of co2 emission intensity by up to 40% by 2020, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia for Ministry of environment and forests, Malaysia, RM 299900.
- Development of technical specification, standard testing and design guideline of interlocking soil cement brick for KNK Manufacturing Sdn Bhd, Malaysia. RM145, 000.
- Stability of Landfill Embankment over RC Culverts at Tenaga Nasional Bhd, Sg. Jasin/Jasik Site in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia. RM 475000.
- Structural Consultant for JTK Consult Sdn Bhd, Malaysia, 2011.
Top 10 publications
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Nahushananda Chakravarthy, Noor Amalina Anuar, Sreedhar Kalavagunta, Kamal Nasharuddin Mustapha. The behaviour of cold-formed steel built-up channel columns strengthened using CFRP. International journal of steel structures (2020) 20(2): 415-424.
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Hashim Abdul Razak, Sitri Nadzriah. Controlled low-strength material made using industrial waste incineration bottom ash and quarry dust. Materials and Design 33 (2012) 56-63(SCI).
- Alaa Shakir, Sivakumar N, Kamal Nasharuddin M. Properties of bricks made using fly ash, quarry dust and billet scale. Construction and building materials, 41 (2013) 131–138 (SCI).
- Sreedhar Kalavagunta, Sivakumar Naganathan, and Kamal Nasharuddin Bin Mustapha, Proposal for design rules of axially loaded CFRP strengthened cold-formed lipped channel steel sections, Thin-walled structures 71 (2013) 14-19 (SCI).
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Hashim Abdul Razak, Sitri Nadzriah, (2009), Performance appraisal of industrial waste incineration bottom ash as controlled low-strength material, Journal of Hazardous Materials 172 (2009) 862–867(SCI).
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Hashim Abdul Razak, Sitri Nadzriah, (2009), Effect of kaolin addition on the properties of CLSM made using industrial waste incineration bottom ash, Waste Management & Research 2009: 00: 1–13. IF: 1.193 (SCI).
- Arshad Ahmed, Motasim Fayyadh, Sivakumar Naganathan, Kamal Nasharuddin Bin Mustapha, Reinforced Concrete Beams with Web Openings: A State of the Art Review, Materials and Design 40 (2012) 90–102 (SCI).
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Hashim Abdul Razak, Sitri Nadzriah, Corrosivity and leaching behaviour of controlled low-strength material (CLSM) made using bottom ash and quarry dust. Journal of Environmental Management 128 (2013) 637- 641 (SCI).
- Sivakumar Naganathan, Mamun Yousef, Kamal Nasharuddin Mustapha. Performance of bricks made using fly ash and bottom ash. Construction and building materials 96 (2015) 576–580 (SCI).
- Arabi N. S. Al Qadi , Kamal Nasharuddin Mustapha, Sivakumar Naganathan, and Qahir N.S. AL-Kadi,” Effect of polypropylene fibres on thermogravimetric properties of self-compacting concrete at elevated temperatures”, Fire and Materials, Vol 37, Issue 3 (2013) pp 177-186 (SCI).