May 7, 2020
Dr. Krishnasamy T. Selvan – Professor
Krishnasamy T. Selvan received the BE (Honours) degree in electronics and communication engineering from Madurai Kamaraj University in 1987, the MS degree in electronics and control from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, in 1996, and the Ph.D. degree in engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, in 2002. He also received a Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education from the University of Nottingham, UK in 2007.
Dr. Selvan has been a Professor in the Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, since June 2012. From early 2005 to mid-2012, he was with the Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus. He also held the positions of Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning and Deputy Director of Studies. During August-September 2009, he was a Visiting Scholar at the George Green Institute for Electromagnetic Research, University of Nottingham, UK. From early 1988 to early 2005, he was with SAMEER – Centre for Electromagnetics, Chennai. After joining SAMEER, he was on deputation at IIT Kanpur until mid-1990, working on a radar clutter measurement project. During 1994–1997, he was the Principal Investigator of a collaborative research programme that SAMEER had with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA. Later he was the Project Manager/Leader of some successfully completed antenna development projects. In early 1994, he held an UNDP Fellowship at RFI Industries, Australia.
Dr. Selvan’s teaching and research interests include electromagnetics and antenna theory, design and measurements. In these areas, he has authored or co-authored a number of journal and conference papers. He also has interest in the topics of management, design thinking and ethics. He is an editor for the online journal FERMAT, and was earlier on the editorial boards of the International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering and the International Journal of Antennas and Propagation. He founded the Madras Chapter of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society in 2013. He has been involved in organizing several major conferences and workshops. He was a member of the Education Committee of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society from 2006 to 2018. He took major lead in proposing, formulating and administering the IEEE AP-S Region 10 Distinguished Speaker programme for promoting EM education. He was also a Distinguished Speaker for 2015-16 under this programme. On an invitation from IEEE AP-S Taiwan Chapter, he visited National Taiwan University in July 2016 and gave a talk on his experience in promoting EM education in South India. He has delivered invited talks at a number of conferences and institutions across the country.
Dr. Selvan is a Senior Member of IEEE and a Fellow of the Advance HE (UK).
Funded Research Projects
|No.||Title||Sponsoring organization||Amount (in lakhs)||Duration||Role|
|1||Bandwidth enhancement of Ku-band reflectarray antenna for conventional & shaped beams||ISRO-RESPOND||14.72||2017-19||Principal Investigator|
|2||Development of radar altimeter antenna||Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.||22||2001-2004||Project Manager|
|3||Development of bore sight reflector antenna||National Remote Sensing Agency||5.4||2000-2001||Project Leader|
|4||Indo-US collaborative research programme with NIST, USA, on antenna transfer function characteristics under near- and far-field conditions||United States-India Fund||19.15||1994-1997||Principal Investigator|
- K.F. Warnick and K.T. Selvan, “Teaching and learning electromagnetics in 2020: Issues, trends, opportunities and ideas for course development,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 24-30, April 2020
- K.T. Selvan and K.F. Warnick, “A global vision for academic scholarship and professional development,” Forum for Electromagnetic Research Methods and Application Technologies (FERMAT), 2018. Available online at: https://www.e-fermat.org/education/selvan-edu-2018-03/
- K.T. Selvan and R. Janaswamy, “Fraunhofer and Fresnel distances: Unified derivation for aperture antennas,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 12-15, August 2017
- K.T. Selvan, “A revisiting of scientific and philosophical perspectives on Maxwell’s displacement current,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 36-46, June 2009
- K.T. Selvan, “Accurate design method for pyramidal horns of any desired gain and aperture phase error,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 7, pp. 31-32, 2008
- K.T. Selvan, “Comments on On bettering humanity in science and engineering education,” Science and Engineering Ethics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 291-293, June 2008
- K.T. Selvan, “A modified three-antenna gain measurement method to simplify uncertainty estimation,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 57, page 197-208, 2006
- K.T. Selvan, “Derivation of a condition for the normal gain behaviour of pyramidal horns,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1782-1784, November 2000.
- K.T. Selvan, “An approximate generalization of Schelkunoff’s horn-gain formulas,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1001-1004, June 1999
- K.T. Selvan, “Studies on the classical gain approximations and the aperture-reflection coefficient of rectangular waveguide antennas,” IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 343-347, November 1998