Our department comprises of 10 faculty members who are all active researchers with interests spanning a wide range of domains.
It has been duly recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai, in 2005 for conducting Ph.D. programs. Some of us who have their research domain overlapping with engineering disciplines also mentor UG/PG projects and summer internships from within SSN and also from outside universities.
Faculty and their Areas of research
|Dr. A. Rajalakshmi||Spectroscopy, Environmental and Radiation Physics|
|Dr. Prita Nair||Optical networks, Silicon Photonics & Si-EO Photonics, MEMS, Sensors, Sonic bandgap materials and acoustic metamaterials|
|Dr. S.M.M. Kennedy||Photoluminescence for WLED phosphors and down conversion phosphors for Solar cells. Thermoluminescence (TL) phosphors for TL dosimetry|
|Dr. N.P. Rajesh||Crystal growth, functional ceramics, environmental science|
|Dr. Julie Charles||Spectroscopy and Polymer nanocomposites|
|Mr. Singaravadivelu||Ferroelectric crystals- growth and characterization|
|Dr. G. Anandhababu||Piezoelectric materials, Topological insulators and multicrystalline silicon|
|Dr. P. Rajesh||Crystal growth and Nanomaterials|
|Dr. A. Chandrasekharan||Molecular Spectroscopy, Radiation physics, Environmental pollution, Archeology|
|Dr P. Nagapandiselvi||Crystallography, Spectroscopy and Nanomaterials|
So far 20 research scholars have been awarded Ph..D degree. Currently there are 22 research scholars pursuing their Ph.D. program.
Ph.D’s Awarded – Click here
|Crystal Growth Lab||Optical Research & Networks Lab||SSN National MEMS Design Centre|
|Functional Materials Lab||Sonic & Ultrasonic Bandgap Materials Lab||High temperature Crystal Growth Lab|
|Ceramics Lab||Thin Film Lab||Luminescence Lab|
|Radiation research Facility||Water analysis lab||Meteorological Tower|
Externally Sponsored Projects: Completed: 12, Ongoing: 7
List of externally funded projects – Click here
Internally funded projects: Completed: 3, Ongoing: 1
List of internally funded projects – Click here
*Workshops/Conferences organized – Details
Some Achievements by Research scholars and UG/PG students
- Annie Rathnakumari (Guide Dr. S.M.M. Kennedy) received an award for best poster presentation of the research article titled, “PL properties of Dy 3+ activated NaBaBi 2 (PO 4 ) 3 phosphors for WLED applications”, in the National Conference on Luminescence and its Applications (NCLA-2020) organized by the Department of Physics, National Institute of Technology, Warangal and Luminescence Society of India (LSI), February 10- 12, 2020 at National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- BalaSubramaniam M, Resmi K S, (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) received best paper award for paper presentation titled “1-D photonic crystal based dynamic encoder/ decoder for 2D W-T OCDMA system”, 3rd International Conference on Optoelectronics and Applied Optics, UEM, Kolkatta, 18-10 August, 2016
- Latha G (Guide Dr Prita Nair ) received Best Paper award for her paper titled “Feasibility Study of a PCF Sensor for In-Situ Monit(Guide Dr Prita Nair ) oring of Silicone Oil Contamination in Transformers”, International Conference on Advances in Science, Management and Engineering Organized by International Organization of Scientific Research and Development (IOSRD), India , Dec 26, 2015, Chennai
- Resmi K.S (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) received Best Poster Paper Award for her paper titled , “Design of a Si‐EO Polymer Hybrid WH/TS Encoder with Transformation Optics Based Waveguide Coupler” IEEE Workshop on Recent Advances in Photonics”, Dec 16-17, 2015, IISc Bangalore
- Balasubramaniam M, (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) received Best Poster Paper Award for his paper titled “Design And Analysis of Optical QAM Scheme Using an Electro-optic Microring Resonator “ IEEE Workshop on Recent Advances in Photonics”, Dec 16-17, 2015, IISc Bangalore
- Research Scholar Mahesh N.R (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) delivered an invited talk titled “Acoustic metamaterial based denoising filters and demultiplexers for low frequency operations”, at the 3rd World Congress on Advanced Materials 2014(WCAM 2014) in the Young Investigator Forum held from June 6-9, 2014, at Chongqing, China. (His travel was supported by DST)
- Our UG students Shruthi K, Chitra.S, (guided by Dr. PritaNair), who did summer project with us presented a paper titled “Modelling and experitmental validation of electrothremal actuators for optical applications”, in ISSS National Conference on MEMS, Smart Materials, Structures and Systems, Sept 6-8, R&D Engineers (DRDO, Pune) ) India 2013 which has given them a good exposure to high end research level presentations.
- UG Project mentored by Dr Prita Nair & Dr. K.Babu in 2013-2014 was awarded the best project from ECE department by Caterpillar (India) for their work on Autonomous Pentacopter . Hardware for this project has been supported from SSN Trust Sponsored Interdisciplinary Internal Project on MEMS based Autonomous Vehicles.
- Summer Intern at SSN, Uday M. Bangavadi, (M.Sc Photonics) from Manipal University (Guided by Dr. Prita Nair) presented poster paper titled, “Design and analysis of beam splitters and GRIN lenses using 2D photonic crystals in silicon for telecommunications” Paper 9130-41 in International SPIE Photonics –Europe 2014 conference held at Brussels from April 14-16, 2014 and have also bagged International Scholarship (Kluwen Academy) based on the work carried out here.
- Research Scholar Renilkumar M (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) won the Best Student Paper in the session on Silicon Photonics & Integrated Optics at SPIE Photonics Europe 2010 for his paper “Widely tunable multi-wavelength channel drop filter on <110> oriented SOI Wafers by anisotropic chemical wet etching” . He received a certificate, prize money of $200 and a free one year access to SPIE Digital library.