Dr. D. Praveen Sam
|| Assistant Professors
Dr. D. Praveen Sam M.A., M.Phil., PhD
Dr. D. Praveen Sam graduated B.A. & M.A. from St. Joseph College (Autonomous), Trichy, M.Phil from Bharathidasan University, Trichy and PhD from Anna University, Chennai. During his college days, he was the athletic captain of the college and Student Secretary of the English department. His academic training and about eight years of experience in English language teaching (ELT) at different Engineering Institutions including Anna University and three years of working experience as e-Learning Specialist at Tutors World Wide India Pvt. Ltd., have prepared him to be an effective teacher. His passion lies in content development, developing asynchronous and synchronous e-learning platforms for language teaching-learning.
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
- Asynchronous e-learning – teaching of English language
- Communication Skills 1&2, MainSpring Publishers: 2015 – A Textbook for Semester I and II of the Polytechnic Colleges in Tamil Nadu.
1. Praveen Sam D & Premalatha Rajan. “The Impact of Scaffolding Question on the Comprehension Skills of Middle School ESL Students: An Experimental Study”, Man in India, Vol. 94, No. 4, pp. 137-150, 2014.
2. Praveen Sam D & Premalatha Rajan. “Using Graphic Organizers to Improve Reading Comprehension Skills for the Middle School ESL Students”, English Language Teaching (ELT), Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 155 – 170, 2103. (I.F-1.9)
3. Praveen Sam D & Premalatha Rajan. “Individual Tutoring Plan (ITP) in Mapping Content for Teaching Reading Strategies Using Asynchronous E-Leaning as Supplementary Tool: An Experimental Study”, International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IJHSS), Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 19 – 34, 2013. (I.F- 1.7392)
4. Praveen Sam D & Premalatha Rajan. “Individual Tutoring Plan (ITP) in Mapping Content For Teaching English Language Skills in Online Tutoring Environment”, Thematics Journal of English Language Teaching (TJELT), Vol. 1, No. 3, 2011.
5. Praveen Sam D & Premalatha Rajan. “A Survey on the Implementation and Utilization of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) In the Educational Organizations in Tamil Nadu”, Thematics Journal of English Language Teaching (TJELT), Vol. 1, No. 4, 2011.
6. Praveen Sam D. “An Experimental Study on the Types of Content used to Assess the Understanding of Reading Comprehension Skills of the Tertiary Level EFL Students”, Modern Journal of Applied Linguistics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 20-26, 2013.
7. Praveen Sam D. “Postmodern Tone in the Poems of Kamala Das”, International Journal of Social Science and Management (IJSSM), Vol. 1, No. 6, pp. 28 – 30, 2013.
- Praveen Sam D. “A Review on the Limitations of e-Learning in the Teaching and Learning Atmosphere in India”, SELP Journal of Social Science, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 5-8, 2012.
- Praveen Sam D. “ The Postmodern Tone in Salman Rushdie’s The Moor’s Last Sigh”, HERMES, Bi-annual Journal of Literature and Language Teaching, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp., 2011.
CONFERENCES & SEMINARS: INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL
- Praveen Sam D. “A Review of Limitations and Advantages in Implementing MALL in the Tertiary ESL Classrooms” a paper presented in the two-day International Conference on English Language: Developing Employability Skills of College Graduates at VIT University, Chennai. 30th -31st January 2015.
- Praveen Sam D. “A Review on the Limitations of e-Learning in India” a paper presented in the two-day International Conference on Outcome Based Teaching and Learning of English at Anna University, Chennai. 1st & 2nd March, 2013.
- Praveen Sam D. “Techniques of Humor used as Supplementary Tools in Teaching English Language” in a two-day International Seminar on Humanistic Language and Literature Teaching at Anna University, Chennai. 18th & 19th February, 2011.
1. Praveen Sam D. “The Impact of Scaffolding Questions on the Reading Comprehension of Middle School ESL Students” in a two-day National Seminar on English for Specific Purposes – A Reappraisal at Anna University, Chennai. 7th & 8th March 2014.
2. Praveen Sam D. “An Experimental Study on the Type of Content used to Assess the Understanding of Reading Comprehension Skills of the Tertiary Level EFL Students” in a two-day National Conference on Testing and Evaluation of Language Skills at Hindustan University, Chennai. 22nd & 23rd January, 2013.
3. Praveen Sam D. “Postmodern Tone in the Poems of Kamala Das” in a two-day National Conference on Indian Poetry in English at The Gandhigram Rural Institute-Deemed University, Gandhigram. 1st & 2nd February, 2012.
4. Praveen Sam D. “Postmodern Tone in The Moor’s Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie” in a one day seminar on Themes and Techniques of Postmodern Writings in English at St. Joseph College, Trichy. 4th March, 2011.
5. Praveen Sam D. “Interpersonal Skills” in a two-day National Seminar on English and Communication Skills for Employability at Anna University, Chennai. 25th & 26th March, 2009.
GUEST LECTURES DELIVERED
- “Innovative Teaching of Grammar” one-day teacher training programme organized by ELTAL for the High School and Higher Secondary School Teachers.
- “Introduction to English Literature” at Jayaram College of Arts and Science, Salem, Tamil Nadu.
- “Importance of Body Language” at St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science (Autonomous), Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
- “Intensive and Extensive Reading” at St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science (Autonomous), Trichy, Tamil Nadu.