|| Dr.S.R.Koteswara Rao, M.Tech, Ph. D.
Dr.S.R.Koteswara Rao, obtained his BE Degree in Mechanical Engineering fromVasavi College of Engineering (1988, Osmania University, Hyderabad), with a first class distinction. He got his M.Tech., degree in Industrial Metallurgy from REC, Warangal (1992, Kakatiya University). He obtained Ph.D from IIT Madras. His research work on welding of Aluminium alloy AA2219, wasconducted at Materials Joining Laboratory, Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, IIT M.
He has also obtained an international diploma “International Welding Engineer (IWE)’ from International Institute of welding.
His past experience includes:
- About 15 years of teaching at various engineering colleges
- 5.5 years of research as Project Officer at Dept of MME, IITM
- Principal, Tagore Engineering College – 3 Years
- Dean (R&D), Tagore Engineering College – 3.5 years
- Head, Dept of MechEngg., SSN College of Engg – 2 years
- Sponsored research Projects completed -5 (funded by Naval Research Board, Armament Research Board, DRDO and other Govt funding agencies).
- Ongoing Projects-2
- Ph.Dguidance : Completed – 4, On Going – 8
- Papers Published in International Refereed Journals – 35
- Areas of Interest: Welding, Surface Engineering, Corrosion, Materials and Process modelling
Sponsored Research Projects as Principal Investigator
|Title of the project
||Friction Stir welding of Scandium added Al-Mg alloys
||Naval Research Board (NRB),DRDO
||Gas Tungsten arc assisted friction stir welding of steels
||Friction Stir Welding of AA2219 to AA5083-Dissimilar Aluminium Alloys.
||DRDO – ER&IPR
||Joining of Aluminum alloy 5083 to DMR 249 grade steel using CMT-MIG welding.
||Naval Research Board (NRB),DRDO
||Friction Stir Welding of AA7075 thick Plates for heavy Vehicle Aplication.
||Armament Research Board(ARMREB)
||Activated flux GTA welding of duplex stainless steels- Addition of nitrogen to weld metal.
||Development of Nitrogen added low Nickel fillers for welding of Duplex Stainless Steels.
||All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
*Completed by Co-Investigators after PI moved to TEC
Papers published in International Refereed Journals
- S.R.Koteswara Rao, G.Madhusudhan Reddy, K.Srinivasa Rao, P.Srinivasa Rao, M.Kamaraj, K.Prasad Rao: “Gas Tungsten Arc Welded AA 2219 Alloy using Scandium containing fillers- Mechanical and corrosion behavior”, Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals,57(5), October 2004 , 427-435
- S.R.Koteswara Rao, G.Madhusudhan Reddy, P.Srinivasa Rao, M.Kamaraj, K.Prasad Rao: “Improving the mechanical properties of 2219 Aluminum Alloy GTA welds by Scandium addition.”,Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, Vol 10 (4), 2005, 418-426.
- S.R.Koteswara Rao, K.Srinivasa Rao, G.Madhusudhan Reddy, M.Kamaraj, K.Prasad Rao: “Reasons for superior Mechanical and Corrosion properties of 2219 Aluminum alloy Electron Beam Welds” Materials Characterization, 55 (2005) 345– 354
- S.R.Koteswara Rao, G.Madhusudhan Reddy, M.Kamaraj, K.Prasad Rao: “Grain Refinement through Arc Manipulation Techniques in Al-Cu alloy GTA Welds” Materials Science and Engineering A, 404 (2005) 227–234
- S.R.Koteswara Rao, G.Madhusudhan Reddy, K.Prasad Rao: “Effects of thermo-mechanical treatments on mechanical properties of AA 2219 gas tungsten arc welds”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 202, (2008) 283-289
- S.R.Koteswara Rao,B.Kamsala Devi, K.Srinivasa Rao, K.Prasad Rao: “ Thermo mechanical treatments of Sc and Mg modified Al-Cu alloy welds”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2009) 45:16–24
- S. Vijayan, R. Raju and S.R.K.Rao: “Friction Stir Welding of Al-Mg Alloy: Comparison of Process Parameter Optimization between Single and Multi response Using Taguchi Methodology”,International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Volume 4 Number 5 (2009) pp. 709–725
- S.Vijayan, R.Raju, K.Subbaiah, N.Sridhar, S.R.K.Rao: “Friction Stir Welding of Al-Mg alloy-Optimization of process parameters using Taguchi Method”, Experimental Techniques, Volume 34, Issue 5, (2010) 37–44
- K.L. Harikrishna; J.J.S. Dilip; K. RamaswamyChoudary; V.V. Subba Rao; S.R.Koteswara Rao, G.D. Janaki Ram; N. Sridhar; G. Madhusudhan Reddy: “Friction stir welding of Magnesium alloy ZM21”, The Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, Vol 63, Issue 5 (2010) 807-811
- J J S Dilip, M. Koilraj; V. Sundareswaran; G.D. Janaki Ram, S.R.Koteswara Rao : “Microstructural characterization of dissimilar friction stir welds between AA2219 and AA5083”, The Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, Vol 63, Issue 4 (2010) 757-764
- S.Vijayan,R.Raju, S.R.K.Rao, ‘Multi-Objective Optimization of Friction Stir Welding Process Parameters on Aluminum Alloy AA 5083 Using Taguchi Based Grey Relation Analysis’, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 25: (2010) 1206-1212
- Koilraj, M., Sundareswaran, V., Vijayan, S., Koteswara Rao, S.R.: Friction stir welding of dissimilar aluminum alloys AA2219 to AA5083 – Optimization of process parameters using Taguchi technique, Materials&Design, volume 42, (2012), 1 – 7
- K.Subbaiah, M.Geetha, M.Govindaraju,S.R.KoteswaraRao : Mechanical properties of Friction Stir welded Cast Al-Mg-Sc alloys, Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, Vol. 65, No. 2, (2012) 155-158.
- K.Subbaiah, M.Geetha, B.Shanmugarajan, S.R.Koteswara Rao: Comparative Evaluation of Tungsten Inert Gas and Laser Beam Welding of AA5083- H321, Sadhana – Vol. 37, No. 5, (2012) 587-593.
- K.Subbaiah, M.Geetha,B.Shanmugarajan and S.R.Koteswara Rao Effect of Welding speed on CO2 laser beam welded Aluminium-Magnesium alloy 5083 in H321 condition, Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 685, (2013) 259-263.
- M. Selvaraj, Vela Murali, S.R. Koteswara Rao, (2013) “Thermal model for friction stir welding of mild steel”, Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures, Vol. 9 Iss: 1, (2013), 49 – 61
- M. Selvaraj, Vela Murali, S.R. Koteswara Rao: Mechanism of weld formation during friction stir welding of aluminum alloy, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 28: (2013) 595-600.
- Hari Krishna Kallipudi, Rama Koteswara Rao Sajja, VenkataSubba Rao Veera: Friction Stir and Gas Tungsten Arc welding of ZM21 Magnesium Alloy., Advanced Materials Research Vol. 909 (2014) pp 77-82
- T Srinivasa Rao, G.Madhusudhana Reddy, G.Srinivasa Rao, S.R.Koteswara Rao: Studies on salt fog corrosion behavior of friction stir welded AA7075-T651 Aluminum alloy., International Journal of Materials Research, Volume 105, April 2014, 375-385
- G. Srinivasa Rao, V.V Subba Rao, T. Srinivasa Rao, P. Kumara Swamy, R. Karthikeyan, S.R. Koteswara Rao (2014). Corrosion behavior of AFNOR 7020-T6 aluminum alloy friction stir welds under salt fog environment. Internal Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences. ISSN 0973-6077 Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 837-846.
- G. Raja Kumar, M. Manoj, G.D. Janakiram, S.R. Koteswara Rao (2014). Studies on GTA welding of borated stainless steel (304B). Internal Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences. ISSN 0973-6077 Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 823-830.
- R. Sasidharan, S. RajendraBoopathy, K. Periyaswamy: S.R. Koteswara Rao, M. Achudham (2014). Errosion corrosion behavior of duplex stainless steel welds using slurry jet machine. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences. ISSN 0973-6077 Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 871-878.
- T Srinivasa Rao, G.Madhusudhana Reddy, S.R.Koteswara Rao: Mechanical and metallurgical characterization of friction stir welded AA7075–T651 aluminum alloy thick plates, Accepted for publication in Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China
- T Srinivasa Rao, G.Madhusudhana Reddy, S.R.Koteswara Rao: Effect of in-process cooling on friction stir welding of AA7075-T651 aluminum alloy thick plates, Under Review Journal of Materials and Design
- R. Sasidharan, S. RajendraBoopathy, S.R. Koteswara Rao, GanesaMoorthy: Study on Erosion corrosion behavior of Gas Tungsten Arc welded Duplex stainless steel using Taguchi Technique”, The journal of corrosion science and engineering, V.17, 2014, 1-18, Preprint-23
- R. Sasidharan, S. RajendraBoopathy, S.R. Koteswara Rao: Effects of Nitrogen added Argon gas flow rate on the mechanical and corrosion properties of duplex stainless steel Gas Tungsten Arc welds., The journal of corrosion science and engineering, V.17, 2014, 1-17, Preprint-22
- G. Raja kumar, G.D. Janaki Ram, S.R. Koteswara Rao “Microstructure and Mechanical properties of Borated Stainless Steel (304B) GTA and SMA welds” La MetallurgiaItaliana – n. pp 53-58, May 2015.
- G. Raja kumar, G.D. Janaki Ram, S.R. Koteswara Rao “Effect of beam oscillation on borated stainless steel electron beam welds” Materials Testing 57 (2015) 6.
- G. Raja kumar, G.D. Janaki Ram, S.R.Koteswara Rao “Effect of activated flux and nitrogen addition on the bead geometry of borated stainless steel GTA welds” High Temperature Materials and Processes, Under Review
- G.Srinivasa Rao , V.V.Subba Rao, S.R.Koteswara Rao., “Microstructure and mechanical properties of AA7020-T6 aluminium alloy friction stir welds”, Metal Science and Heat treatment (Springer), accepted for publication ( Jan 2015).
- G.SrinivasaRao ,V.V.Subba Rao, S.R.Koteswara Rao., “Microstructure and salt fog corrosion behavior of AA2219 friction stir welded aluminium alloy”, Metal Science and Heat treatment (Springer), accepted for publication ( Jan 2015).