Dr. Sekhar Bhattacharya, Senior Research Scientist at SSN Research Centre has 20 years of research experience in the areas of semiconductor, photovoltaics and MEMS. Currently he is leading the photovoltaics materials and devices group of SSN Research Centre.
He received MSc in Chemistry from IIT Kharagpur and PhD in Electrical Engineering (semiconductor devices) from the Queens University, Belfast in UK. His PhD work was on Silicon Germanium and Strained Silicon technology. During his Ph.D he developed a novel method for fabrication of Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) and grew strained silicon by UHVCVD method. In his postdoctoral work he developed a prototype Atomic Layer deposition (ALD) system for deposition of high-k dielectric materials with Oxford Instruments in UK.
He has over 40 research publications in refereed international journals and in proceedings of international conferences. Some of his publications are :
1. High-k ZrO2 Gate Dielectric On Strained Silicon S. Bhattacharya, S. K. Samanta, S. Chatterjee, John McCarthy, B. M. Armstrong, H. S. Gamble, C. K. Maiti, T.S. Perova and R.A. Moore (E 3.22 MRS Fall, Boston, December 2003).
2. Determination of Band Offsets in Strained-Si Heterolayers C. K. Maiti, S. K. Samanta, S. Chatterjee, G. K. Dalapati, S. Bhattacharya, B. M. Armstrong, H. S. Gamble, J. McCarthy,T. S. Perova, and R. A. Moore (Thin Solid Films 462– 463 (2004) 80– 84).
3. Tungsten Silicide Contacts to Polycrystalline Silicon and Silicon-Germanium Alloys G.Srinivasan, M.F.Bain, S. Bhattacharya, P.Baine, B.M.Armstrong, H.S.Gamble and D.W.McNeill (Materilas Science and Engineering Volumes 114-115, 15 December 2004, Pages 223-227).
4. Atomic layer deposition of hafnium oxide dielectrics on silicon and germanium substrates D W McNeill, S. Bhattacharya, H Wadsworth, F H Ruddell, S J N Mitchell, B M Armstrong, H S Gamble (J Mater Sci: Mater Electron (2008) 19:119–123).
5. Novel low temperature techniques for growth of ultrathin oxides for Strained Si MOS Devices Binsu J.Kailath, Amitava DasGupta, Nandita DasGupta, S. Bhattacharya, B. M. Armstrong, H. S. Gamble and J McCarthy, IEEE ICM 2007 proceedings, p 442-444..
6. Effect of Nitridation on Al/HfO2/Ge MIS Capacitors Binsu J Kailath, S. Bhattacharya, Amitava DasGupta, Nandita DasGupta, D.W. McNeill and H. Gamble (International Workshop in Physics of Semiconductor Devices at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, December 2007).
He was the Principal Investigator of the following two projects:
1. Amorphous silicon thin films for microbolometer application (completed)
Funding Agency: SSPL Delhi
Duration: 2011 – 2013
Amount: Rs. 9.5 lakhs
2. Title: Research Investigations on Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Photovoltaics (completed)
Funding Agency: DRDO
Duration: 2011 – 2014
Amount: 88 lakhs
His areas of expertise are in :
- LPCVD for epitaxial Si, SiGe and strained silicon and polycrystalline silicon
- PECVD for silicon nanowires , amorphous silicon, silicon dioxide/ nitride
- ALD of High-k HfO2 dielectric
- Dry (RIE and ICP) etching
- KOH etching of silicon wafer
- Wet processing of silicon wafers
- Wafer cleaning and bonding
- Mask design and photolithography
- RF/DC Sputtering and thermal/Electron beam evaporation
- Chemical mechanical polishing (CMP)
- Furnace processes for silicon technology (oxidation, nitridation, diffusion etc.)
- Plasma Immersion Ion Implantation
- Electrical characterisations (I-V and C-V measurements)
- Structural characterisations (AFM, TEM, SEM)
- Optical characterizations (UV-VIS, FTIR, Ellipsometry)
- All fabrication processes for crystalline and amorphous silicon solar cells.