About the Department
The Department of Information Technology was established in the year 1999. Our Mission is to provide quality education to the students and impart IT excellence in them. Apart from making them good technocrats, we also provide individual attention to make them good citizens of our nation to serve the industry and society constructively.
The Department has been recognized as a Collaborative Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai. It has many ongoing projects funded by DST, DIT, DRDO, AICTE and SSN Trust and has organized many faculty development programmes and short term training programmes sponsored by Anna University and AICTE-ISTE.
Drawing upon SSNCE’s tradition of teaching excellence, the Department with 30 faculty members and 450/560 students work closely together in an open, collegial atmosphere. With Anna University’s curriculum, the Department places equal emphasis on theoretical and experimental Information Technology. The Department has the state-of-the-art facilities for various labs, well equipped Seminar halls, class rooms to support e-learning and a Department library.
Programmes offered by the Department are:
- B.Tech. Information Technology
- M.Tech. Information Technology
- Ph.D. / MS (By Research)
Measures to Improve Teaching Learning Process:
The teaching and learning process of our department is ISO 9001 certified and also accredited by the National Board of Accreditation in the year 2007. The Department regularly organizes Faculty Development Programs sponsored by AICTE-ISTE and Anna University based on curriculum and the recent trends in IT industries.
The Department had also organized an International Conference on “Wireless Communication and Sensor Computing (ICWCSC 2010) and two National Conferences on Computer Science, Communication and Signal Processing (NCCCSP 2014) and Bio-signal Communication and Networking (NCBCN 2005) respectively. Periodic guest lectures and workshops are conducted for the students to supplement their curriculum. This facilitates our students to update their knowledge on par with the industry standards. The Department has produced many University Ranks in the University of Madras and Anna University.
- The Department has identified the key research areas as Digital Communication, Speech Technology, VLSI, Data Warehousing & Mining, Network Security, Embedded Systems, Image Processing and Software Engineering Methodologies & Metrics.
- Forum for Information Networking and Security (FINS) with membership from faculty and students of IT Department has been formed to create a platform for enabling all the members to meet, share, discuss, work on projects, do research and develop Information Networking and Security Expertise.
- Faculty members are encouraged to participate in the Faculty Development Programs, Workshops and Seminars arranged by other institutions and leading software industries in their own research area as a step towards strengthening their domain knowledge.