Dr. Divya John
Dr. Divya John MA, PGCTE (CIEFL), PhD
Dr Divya John secured a first class in MA English Language and Literature from the University of Calicut, Kerala, and qualified at the UGC-NET (National Educational Test) in Dec 2000. She completed the Postgraduate Certificate in the Teaching of English (PGCTE) with distinction from CIEFL, Hyderabad, in 2004 with a GPA of 3.86. She was awarded PhD by the University of Calicut in Jan 2008 on the topic “The Cybernetics of Love: A Study of Kahlil Gibran.”
Dr John joined the Dept of English, SSN College of Engineering on 3 Jan 2007, and has fourteen years’ of teaching and research experience. She presented 16 papers in national and international conferences on ELT. She also has 6 national and international journal publications. Recognized as a PhD Supervisor in the Faculty of Science and Humanities of Anna University, Chennai, she guides a research scholar, Venkateswara U, on the topic “Catering to the Speaking Competence of Second Language Learners of English in the Engineering Classrooms.”
Dr John served as the Head of the Dept of English at SSN for 5 years (7 March 2008 to 31 March 2013). During her tenure, she organized the First SSN Creative Writing Contest and the SSN Best Speaker Contest in 2010-2011, and this has become a programme conducted annually. She is the Faculty Coordinator of English Literary Club of SSN (ELC) and The SSN Theatre Club (Lights Out Please). She is a member of the editorial board of Vibrations, the quarterly newsletter of SSN.
Awards and Honours:
- Appointed as a member of the Syllabus Sub Committee for English Courses of Anna University, Chennai (Regulation 2017)
- Nominated as a member of the Board of Studies in the Faculty of Science and Humanities of Anna University of Technology, Chennai, Nov 2010
- Shortlisted in the All India Poetry Competition 2015 for the poem, “Love Rewritten,” organized by The Poetry Society (India)
- Won the Best Teacher Award for the academic year 2007-2008 at SSN College of Engineering
- Won the Best Paper Award for the paper, “Fluency Practice in an Engineering Classroom” at the 3rd International and 39th Annual ELTAI Conference held at Sathyabama University, Chennai, Feb 2008
- Won the First Prize and Mother Cleopatra Award for The Best Literary Artist of the Year 1997-’98 at Vimala College, Thrissur, Kerala
- Won the Best Actress award in English Drama at the St. Mary’s College Arts Festival (Kerala) in the year 1994-’95
- Won a Silver Medal for a written entry at the Shankar’s International Children’s Competition, New Delhi, in 1991
- Won the First Prize in Elocution at the 33rd Kerala State Youth Festival in 1993
- John Divya, “Video and Language Activities,” Modern English Teacher, Volume 19 Number 1, Jan 2010 issue, pp 35-38, 2010. ISSN: 0308-0587.
- John Divya, “Reinforced Language Tasks Using Video,” Modern English Teacher, Volume 19 Number 2, April 2010 issue, pp 25-28, 2010. ISSN: 0308-0587.
- John Divya, “E Activities and Language Learning,” TESOL-SPAIN Newsletter, Vol. 35/2, Oct 2011 issue, pp 12-14, 2011. ISSN: 1575-8044.
- John Divya, “Training the Dragon,” Voices, IATEFL 50th Anniversary Issue 1, May-June 2016 Issue 250, pp 3. ISSN: 1814-3830.
- John Divya, “Fluency Practice in an Engineering Classroom,” The Journal of English Language Teaching [India] (The JELT), VOL 46/1 2008, Jan-Feb issue, pp 34-46, 2008. ISSN 0973-5208.
- Venkateswara U. & John Divya, “Augmenting the Verbal Communication of Students by Changing their Learning Behaviour,” The English Classroom, Volume-18, Number 1, June 2016, pp 61-77, 2016. ISSN 2250-2831.
Journal & Anthology
- John Divya, “A Maze” & “A Parallel Universe,” The Journal of the Poetry Society (India), Vol 25, 2014, pp 82-84, 2014.
- John Divya, “Sunsets and Sunrises” & “Testing Times,” Poemlets 15: The 2015 Collection, Vol 1, Dec 2015, pp 25-26, 2015. (Sound Vision Media, ISBN-13: 978-0692581384).
- John Divya, “Love Rewritten,” Poetry India – Voices in Shade and Sunshine: An Anthology of All India Poetry Competition 2015, The Poetry Society (India), Jan 2016, pp 52-53, 2016.
- John Divya, “The EYE in I-ness,” “In or Out of the Online,” “Devoured Featherless,” “My Twinkling Grandma,” Poetry.com, International Library of Poetry, Web, 2000-2002.
- John Divya, “What I am,” “Hoodwinked to Hooded,” “Love,” PoemHunter.com, Web, 23 Jan 2016.
- John Divya, Whispers Within, a collection of my poems, published by Writers Workshop, Kolkata, India, in May 2009. HB 978-81-8157-847-1 FB 978-81-8157-848-8.