Our department comprises of 9 faculty members who are all active researchers with interests spanning a wide range of domains like
• Radiation physics
• Underwater acoustics and signal processing
• Optical networks and silicon photonics
• Spectroscopy and
• Crystal Growth.
It has been duly recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai, for conducting Ph.D.programmes.
- Around six scholars have completed their doctorates under the guideship of various faculty members of the department. Currently there are 23 research scholars pursuing their PhD.
- Some of us who have their research domain overlapping with engineering disciplines also mentor UG/PG projects and summer internships from within SSN and also from outside universities.
The department has established a Center for Crystal Growth in 2005 and an Optical Network lab in 2006 for conducting active research.
In addition an NMDC centre has been established in January 2010 in association with NPMASS
The dept has completed 5 sponsored research projects worth 63.23lakhs and we currently have 10 ongoing projects worth 2.38 crores. 4 projects have been submitted this year to a total worth of 1.19Cr in various disciplines – underwater acoustics, silicon photonics & crystal growth.
Around 150 papers have been published in reputed journals with impact factor till date of which a record number of 41 (an average of ~4.5publ/faculty) have been published this academic year.
Workshops held in 2013-2014
• “Material Characterization Techniques” held from Jan3-4 ,2014, Talks were delivered by experts from IIT-M/Anna University and other premier institutions. This workshop drew a crowd of over 100 participants
• “DST_SERC School on Nonlinear Optics & Materials” was hosted here at SSN from Feb 3-Feb 21 2014. Experts were from IIT/IISc/IGCAR/Hyderabad University.
Faculty have attended 25 conferences this academic year of which 2 were International conferences in Colorado USA & Poland
As is usual, every year, nearly 30-40% of our faculty deliver invited talks/guest lectures or go as resource persons for FDPs at various reputed Institutes. These sessions are also used by us as student outreach programs, advertising research assistance to students either through their faculty or directly to the students.
Along with the faculty members , Research scholars and UG/PG have also presented papers.
- Our UG/PG students who did summer project with us have presented papers in ISSS National Conference which has given them a good exposure to high end research level presentations.
- UG Project mentored by Dr Prita Nair & Dr. K.Babu in 2013-2014 was awarded the best project from ECE department by Caterpillar (India). Hardware for this project has been supported from SSN Trust Sponsored Interdisciplinary Internal Project on MEMS based Autonomous Vehicles.
- Summer Intern (PG) from other university (Manipal) presented a poster paper in International SPIE Photonics –Europe 2014 conference held at Brussels from April 14-16, 2014 and have also bagged International Scholarship (Kluwen Academy) based on the work carried out here.
- Research Scholar Mahesh N.R (Guide Dr. Prita Nair) has been invited to give a talk at the 3rd World Congress on Advanced Materials 2014(WCAM 2014) in the session on Absorber Acoustics & Seismic Materials to be held from June 6-9, 2014, at Chongqing, China.