Prof. Dr. Chandrabose Aravindan
Chandrabose Aravindan B.E. (Hons), M.E., Ph.D.,
Email: AravindanC AT ssn DOT edu DOT in
Chandrabose Aravindan is a Professor of Computer Science and Assistant Director (School of Advanced Software Engineering) at SSN College of Engineering, Chennai, India, since July 2002. He received his B.E. degree with honors in Computer Science and Engineering from NIT, Trichy, India, in 1986 and M.E. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, in 1990 and 1995, respectively. His post-doctoral research was with the University of Koblenz, Germany, during 1995-1997, where he worked as a Research Scientist on a funded project in the area of disjunctive logic programming. He has been in academia as a professor of Computer Science since 1998.
Aravindan is a member of the Machine Learning Research Group of SSN and his research interests include machine learning and pattern recognition, logic programming and formal methods, and high-performance computing. Eleven research scholars have already completed their PhD under his supervision and he is currently guiding two more scholars. Aravindan has completed five funded research projects, and has published about 50 papers in international journals and conferences.
Aravindan is actively involved in curriculum development for undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Computer Science and Information Technology. He has served as a member of Boards of Studies of several universities and autonomous institutions. He is currently a member of Board of Studies in the Computer Science and Engineering Faculty of Mepco Schlenk Engineering College (Autonomous), Sivakasi, India.
Aravindan is a member of several professional bodies such as ACM, IEEE, IEEE Computer Society, Computer Society of India (CSI), and Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE).
- Author Page at ACM Digital Library
- DBLP: Chandrabose Aravindan and C. Aravindan
- Scopus: Author ID: 6602344663 (free preview)
- ORCID: 0000-0002-9025-4009
- ResearcherID: Q-1046-2015
- Profile at Research Gate
- Profile at Google Scholar
- S. Mohanavalli, S. M. Jaisakthi, and C. Aravindan, Automatic scale parameters in affinity matrix construction for improved spectral clustering, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Volume 30, Issue 10, pp. 1650023-1 — 1650023-16, World Scientific, 2016. DOI: 10.1142/S0218001416500233;
- D. Thenmozhi and C. Aravindan, Paraphrase Identification by Using Clause-Based Similarity Features and Machine Translation Metrics, The Computer Journal, Volume 59, Issue 9, pp. 1289 — 1302, The British Computer Society, 2016. DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxv083;
- D. Thenmozhi and C. Aravindan, An Automatic and Clause-Based Approach to Learn Relations for Ontologies, The Computer Journal, Volume 59, Issue 6, pp. 889 — 907, The British Computer Society, 2016. DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxv071;
- J. Bhuvana and C. Aravindan, Stopping Criteria for MAPLS-AW, a Hybrid Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithm, Soft Computing, Volume 20, Issue 6, pp. 2409 — 2432, Springer, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s00500-015-1651-3;
- J. Bhuvana and C. Aravindan, Memetic Algorithm with Preferential Local Search using Adaptive Weights for Multi-Objective Optimization Problems, Soft Computing, Volume 20, Issue 4, pp. 1365 — 1388, Springer, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s00500-015-1593-9;
- R. Rajalakshmi and C. Aravindan, Web page classification using n-gram based URL features, In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Computing (ICoAC 2013), Chennai, India, pp. 15 — 21, IEEE, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ICoAC.2013.6921920;
- P. Mirunalini and C. Aravindan, Automatic segmentation of coronary arteries and detection of stenosis, In: Proceedings of the IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, TENCON 2013, pp. 1 — 4, IEEE, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/TENCON.2013.6719010;
- C. Premalatha, C. Aravindan, R. Karthikeyan, K. Kannan, and M. Surianarayanan, A computational model for enhancing recombinant Penicillin G Acylase production from Escherichia coli DH5α, Computational Biology and Chemistry, Volume 46, pp. 39 — 47, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiolchem.2013.05.002;
- P. Vasuki and C. Aravindan, Improving emotion recognition from speech using sensor fusion techniques, In: Proceedings of the IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, TENCON 2012, pp. 1 — 6, IEEE, 2012. DOI: 10.1109/TENCON.2012.6412330;
- B. Rajesh Kanna, C. Aravindan, and K. Kannan, Image-based area estimation of any connected region using y-convex region decomposition, AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Volume 66, Issue 2, pp. 172 — 183, 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.aeue.2011.06.010;
- B. Rajesh Kanna, C. Aravindan, and K. Kannan, Development of yConvex hypergraph model for contour-based image analysis, In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computer, Communication, and Informatics (ICCCI 2012), IEEE, 2012. DOI: 10.1109/ICCCI.2012.6158806;
- J. Bhuvana and C. Aravindan, Preferential local search with adaptive weights in evolutionary algorithms for multi-objective optimization problems, In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition (SoCPar 2011), IEEE, pp. 358 — 363, 2011. DOI: 10.1109/SoCPaR.2011.6089270;
- S. M. Jaisakthi and C. Aravindan, Face detection using data and sensor fusion techniques, In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition (SoCPar 2011), IEEE, pp. 274 — 279, 2011. DOI: 10.1109/SoCPaR.2011.6089120;
- C. Premalatha, C. Aravindan, and K. Kannan, Promoter prediction in eukaryotes using soft computing techniques, In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Recent Advances in Intelligent Computational Systems (RAICS 2011), IEEE, pp. 528 — 532, 2011. DOI: 10.1109/RAICS.2011.6069368;
- B. Rajesh Kanna, C. Aravindan, and K. Kannan, A contour based scheme for representing arbitrary shapes in digital images, In: Proceedings of the International Conference & Workshop on Emerging Trends in Technology (ICWET ’11), ACM, pp. 535 — 540, 2011. DOI: 10.1145/1980022.1980137;
- J. Bhuvana and C. Aravindan, Design of Hybrid Genetic Algorithm with Preferential Local Search for Multiobjective Optimization Problems, In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Information Technology and Mobile Communications, CCIS Vol. 147, Part 2, Springer-Verlag, pp. 312 — 316, 2011. DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-20573-6_53;
- R. Rajalakshmi and C. Aravindan, Naive Bayes Approach for Website Classification, In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Information Technology and Mobile Communications, CCIS Vol. 147, Part 2, Springer-Verlag, pp. 323 — 326, 2011. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-20573-6_55;
- S. Mohanavalli, S. M. Jaisakthi, and C. Aravindan, Strategies for Parallelizing KMeans Data Clustering Algorithm, In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Information Technology and Mobile Communications, CCIS Vol. 147, Part 3, Springer-Verlag, pp. 427 — 430, 2011. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-20573-6_76;
- K. Kannan, B. Rajesh Kanna, and C. Aravindan, Root mean square filter for noisy images based on hyper graph model, Image and Vision Computing, Volume 28, Issue 9, pp. 1329 — 1338, 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.imavis.2010.01.013;
- S. M. Jaisakthi and C. Aravindan, Face detection based on eigenfaces and legendre moments, In: Proceedings of the IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON 2009), IEEE, pp. 1 — 5, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/TENCON.2009.5396153;
- C. Premalatha, C. Aravindan, and K. Kannan, On Improving the Performance of Promoter Prediction Classifier for Eukaryotes Using Fuzzy Based Distribution Balanced Stratified Method, In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computing, Control, and Telecommunication Technologies, IEEE, pp. 364 — 366, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ACT.2009.96;
- D. Thenmozhi and C. Aravindan, Tamil-English Cross Lingual Information Retrieval System for Agricultural Society, In: Proceedings of the Tamil Internet Conference (TIC-2009), pp. 173 –178, 2009.
- Jerre Louis C. L. J. and C. Aravindan, Design of a scalable, fault tolerant, heterogeneous, and distributed storage framework, In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 1313 — 1316, 2008. DOI: 10.1109/ICETET.2008.114;
- R. Maheswaran, S. G. Ponnambalam, and C. Aravindan, A meta-heuristic approach to single machine scheduling problems, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 25, Numbers 7-8, pp. 772 — 776, 2005. DOI: 10.1007/s00170-003-1864-y;
- C. Balamurugan, C. Aravindan, K. Kannan, D. Sathyanarayana, K. Valliappan, and R. Manavalan, Artificial Neural Network for the simultaneous estimation of Multi-component sample by UV spectometry, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 65 (3), pp. 274 — 278, 2003.
- S. Balakrishnan, P.S. Kannan, C. Aravindan, and P. Subathra, Online emission and economic load dispatch using adaptive Hopfield neural network, Applied soft computing, Vol. 2, Issue 4, pp. 297 — 305, 2003. DOI: 10.1016/S1568-4946(02)00062-5;
- C. Aravindan and P. Baumgartner, Theorem proving techniques for view deletion in databases, Journal of Symbolic Computation, Vol. 29, Issue 2, pp. 119 — 147, 2000. DOI: 10.1006/jsco.1999.0358;
- C. Aravindan, J. Dix, and I. Niemela, DisLoP: A research project on disjunctive logic programming, AI Communications 10 (3/4), pp. 151 — 167, 1997.
- C. Aravindan and P. Baumgartner, A rational and efficient algorithm for view deletion in databases, In: Proceedings of the International Logic Programming Symposium (ILPS-97), MIT Press, 1997.
- C. Aravindan, J. Dix, and I. Niemela, DisLoP: Towards a disjunctive logic programming system, In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Logic Programming and Non-Monotonic Reasoning (LPNMR-97), LNAI 1265, Springer-Verlag, pp. 341 — 352, 1997. DOI: 10.1007/3-540-63255-7_25;
- C. Aravindan, An abductive framework for negation in disjunctive logic programming, In: J.J. Alferes and L.M. Pereira and E. Orlowska (Eds.), Proceedings of the Joint European Workshop on Logics in Artificial Intelligence (JELIA-96), LNAI 1126, pp. 252 — 267, Springer-Verlag, 1996. DOI: 10.1007/3-540-61630-6_18;
- C. Aravindan, DisLoP: A disjunctive logic programming system based on PROTEIN theorem prover, In: G. Gorz and S. Holldobler (Eds.), Proceedings of the German Artificial Intelligence Conference (KI-96), LNAI 1137, pp. 19 — 23, Springer-Verlag, 1996. DOI: 10.1007/3-540-61708-6_42;
- C. Aravindan, P. Baumgartner, J. Dix, U. Furbach, G. Neugebauer, I. Niemela, D. Schafer and F. Stolzenburg, On merging theorem proving and disjunctive logic programming paradigms, In: M. Maher (Ed.), Proceedings of the Joint International Conference and Symposium on Logic Programming ( JICSLP-96), pp. 546 — 546, MIT Press, 1996.
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, On the correctness of unfold/fold transformation of normal and extended logic programs, The Journal of Logic Programming, Vol. 24, Issue 3, pp. 201 — 217, 1995. DOI: 10.1016/0743-1066(94)00104-E;
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, Knowledge base Dynamics, Abduction and Databases, Journal of Applied Non-classical Logics, Vol. 5, Issue 1, pp. 51 — 76, 1995.
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, Partial Deduction of Logic Programs wrt Well-founded Semantics, New Generation Computing, Vol. 13, pp. 45 — 74, 1994. DOI: 10.1007/BF03038308;
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, Belief Dynamics, Abduction, and Databases, In: C. Macnish, D. Pearce and L.M. Pereira (Eds.), Proceedings of the Fourth European Workshop on Logics in Artificial Intelligence (JELIA-94), LNAI Vol. 838, pp. 66 — 85, Springer-Verlag, 1994. DOI: 10.1007/BFb0021965;
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, Relationship between Gardenfors-Makinson’s epistemic entrenchment and Katsuno-Mendelzon’s faithful total preorders, In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Expert Systems for Development, pp. 182 — 186, IEEE, 1994. DOI: 10.1109/ICESD.1994.302284;
- C. Aravindan and P. M. Dung, Partial deduction of logic programs wrt well-founded semantics, In: H. Kirchner and G. Levi (Eds.), Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Algebraic and Logic Programming, LNCS Vol. 632, pp. 384 — 402, Springer-Verlag, 1992. DOI: 10.1007/BFb0013839;
Funded Research Projects
- Principal investigator of the project on Voice enabled documentation and mailing system in Indian languages for hand held devices, funded by AICTE, New Delhi, India. (2006-2009)
- Principal investigator for setting up a High-Performance Computing Lab at the SSN campus with a funding of Rs. 10 lakhs from the SSN Management. (2007)
- Co-Investigator of the project on Application of neural network concepts to the analysis of multi-drug pharmaceutical formulation, funded by AICTE, New Delhi, India. This project was jointly carried out with Department of Pharmacy of Annamalai University, India, with Dr. K. Kannan as the principal investigator. (2000-2002)
- Principal Investigator of the project on Development of micro-kernel and device drivers for the Unix operating system, funded by AICTE, New Delhi, India. (1999-2000)
- One of the investigators of the research project on Disjunctive Logic Programming funded by German Federal Agency DFG and carried out at the University of Koblenz, Germany. (1995-1997)