Dr. N. Lakshmi Narasimhan
Dr. N. Lakshmi Narasimhan B.E., M.S (By Research), Ph.D,
Extercom : 234
Dr. N. Lakshmi Narasimhan started his career as a Mechanical Engineer, graduated from RVS College of Engineering and Technology, Dindigul affiliated to MaduraiKamarajUniversity. He obtained his Masters degree M.S. (By Research) from AnnaUniversity for his research work on Latent Heat Thermal Energy Storage. Later, he pursued Ph.D. at IIT Madras and carried out research in the area of Cryogenics, specializing in mixed refrigerant technology. In his Ph.D. work, he studied the variation of composition of mixed refrigerants during circulation in a Joule-Thomson refrigerator operating at cryogenic temperatures and came out with relationships that can be used to estimate the charge composition of a particular mixture. To his credit, he has a teaching experience of about 14 years and has published about 10 technical papers in refereed international Journals, 1 paper in national journal and 7 papers in International/national conferences. He has carried out funded Research Projects on Latent Heat Thermal Energy Storage, Funded by SSN Trust and the Institution of Engineers India involving UG and PG students.
- Studies On The Enhancement of Charging/Discharging Characteristics of An Encapsulated Latent Heat Thermal Storage Unit, funded by the Institution of Engineers India (IEI) during 2015 with a grant of Rs. 40,000/-.
- Development of a thermal energy storage device for industrial applications – internally funded by SSN Trust - (Value Rs. 1 Lakh)
- Development of a constant temperature bath using phase change materials for low temperature applications – internally funded by SSN Trust - (Value Rs. 30,000/-)
- Recipient of the Honeywell Eureka Challenge, Ist Runner-Up cash Award of Rs. 50,000/- INR for the guided project titled “Design and fabrication of a cold Storage unit for an airconditioned space”, during Tech Expo 2015, organized by CII on Dec 11-12, 2015, at Madurai, TN, India.
- “Award of Excellence” for the Research paper titled Studies on the melting/freezing of an inorganic PCM – graphite mix around a horizontal tube, presented in the International Conference on Global Scenario in Energy & Environment at NIT Bhopal, during 14-16th March, 2013.
- The project guided titled, Experimental investigations on a latent heat thermal storage unit containing PCM with metal inserts has been selected for presentation in the Techknow 2011 (National Contest and Expo on Student Innovation) contest held at AnnaUniversity, on 16th July, 2011.
- The project guided for a batch of undergraduate students at Sri Sai Ram Engineering college received the ISTE REC Calicut Best Project National Award for the B.E. project in the year 2003.
- Coordinator for the Ten day Automotive Industry Simulation Internship – a summer internship programme, jointly organized by SSNCE & Experts Hub during June 20-29, 2014.
- Coordinator for the Two Day Workshop on Fundamentals of CFD, Jan 10 &11, 2013 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for the One Day Workshop on Research Avenues in Heat Transfer, 11h March, 2011 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for the One Day Workshop on Refrigeration-Current Issues and Future Challenges, 12th March, 2010 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for Crank-X, a National Level Technical Symposium for students, 6th Sep, 2013 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for Crank-X, a National Level Technical Symposium for students, 1st Sep, 2012 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for Crank-X, a National Level Technical Symposium for students, 22nd Aug, 2011 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Coordinator for Crank-X, a National Level Technical Symposium for students, 26th Aug, 2010 at SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam, Tamil Nadu.
Membership in Professional Bodies
Member of the Institution of Engineers, India. Membership No: M-1508142
Areas of Research
- Thermal energy storage
- Heat transfer & CFD
- Heat transfer and Fluid Mechanics (PG)
- Design and Analysis of Turbomachines (PG)
- Gas Dynamics and Space Propulsion (UG)
- Thermal Engineering (UG)
- Thermodynamics (UG)
- Fluid Mechanics (UG)
- Engineering Graphics (UG)
- Applied Mechanics (UG)
- Power Plant Engineering (UG)
- Basic Mechanical Engineering (UG)
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan, R. Bharath, Sarah Ann Ramji, M. Tarun and A. Siddarth Arumugam, Numerical studies on the performance enhancement of an encapsulated thermal storage unit, 2014, Int. J. Thermal Sciences Vol. 84, 184-195. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2014.05.003
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan and G. Venkatarathnam, 2013, Studies on the performance of a small reciprocating compressor with different nitrogen hydrocarbon mixtures, International Journal of Refrigeration Vol. 36, 2091-2096. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2013.07.011
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan and G. Venkatarathnam, 2011, Effect of mixture composition and hardware on the performance of a single stage JT refrigerator, Cryogenics, Vol. 51(8), 446-451. doi:10.1016/j.cryogenics.2011.05.003 Cited by : 3
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan and G. Venkatarathnam, 2010, A method for Estimating the Composition of the Mixture to be Charged to get the Desired Composition in Circulation in a Single Stage JT Refrigerator Operating with Mixtures. Cryogenics, Vol. 50 (2), 93-101.
doi :10.1016/j.cryogenics.2009.12.004 Cited by : 15
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan and G. Venkatarathnam, 2009, A General Relation for Identifying the Liquid Like and Vapour Like Regions of Supercritical Fluids, Canadian J Chem Engng, Vol. 87, 568-571. DOI 10.1002/cjce.20186
- N. Lakshmi Narasimhan, S. Srinivasamurthy and G.Venkatarathnam, Relationship Between the Composition of a Four Component Nitrogen-Hydrocarbon Mixture Charged into the System and that in Circulation During Steady State Operation of a J-T Refrigerator, 2009, Indian J Cryogenics, Vol. 34 (1-4), 152-157. ISSN 0379-0479.
- 7. Seeniraj, R.V and Lakshmi Narasimhan, N., 2008, “Performance Enhancement of a Solar Dynamic LHTS Module having Both Fins and Multiple PCMs”, Solar Energy, 82, pp. 535-542. doi:10.1016/j.solener.2007.11.001 Cited by : 40
- Seeniraj, R.V and Lakshmi Narasimhan, N., 2005, “The Thermal Response of A Cold LHTS Unit With Heat Leak Through Side Walls”, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 32, pp. 1375-1386. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2005.07.011 Cited by : 11
- Seeniraj, R.V., Velraj, R., and Lakshmi Narasimhan, N., 2002, “Heat Transfer Enhancement Study of a LHTS unit containing Dispersed High Conductivity Particles”, ASME Jl. Solar Energy Engng.,- Vol. 124, No: 3, pp. 243-249. DOI: 10.1115/1.1488669. Cited by : 30
- Seeniraj, R.V., Velraj, R., and Lakshmi Narasimhan, N., 2002, “Thermal Analysis of a Finned-Tube LHTS module for a Solar Dynamic Power System”, Heat and Mass Transfer, (German Journal) – Vol. 38, pp. 409-417. DOI 10.1007/S002310100268 Cited by : 30