Dr. R. Arumugam
Dr. R. Arumugam B.E., M.Sc. (Engg.), Ph.D
R. Arumugam received his B.E., and M.Sc (Engg.) degrees from Madras University in the years 1969 and 1971 respectively. He received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. He worked in various capacities at College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University from 1976 onwards. He was formerly the Professor and Head of Department at CEG and Chairman, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Anna University. He is presently working as the Professor in Electrical Engineering at SSN College of Engineering.
He was the recipient of Fellowship from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada during the period September 1983- December 1987. One of his technical papers presented in the IEEE International conference on Power, Control and Instrumentation Systems, IECON – 2000, conducted at Nagoya, Japan, was awarded the Best Technical Paper Award.
He was a consultant to Lucas TVS Ltd., for the design of Switched Reluctance Motor and to Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), DRDO, for the design of a prototype Linear Induction Motor. He has also involved in the Thermal Analysis of fuse element for S&S Power Switchgear Ltd., Chennai.
He has published 52 technical papers in International Journals, 2 papers in National Journal and 48 papers in International Conferences. He has guided 8 Ph.D and 2 M.S(By Research) scholars. At present he is guiding 6 Ph.D research scholars. His research interests are in Computer Aided Design of Electrical Machines, Finite Element Analysis, Electric Motor Drives and Power Electronics.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS FROM 2010
- R.Subashraj, S.Prabhu ,V.Chandrasekar, N.C.Lenin, A.Manikandan and R.Arumugam, published a paper on “Design and Finite Element Analysis of Switched Reluctance Motor with Exterior Rotor”, International Journal of Engineering Research, (ISSN:2347-5013), Volume No.3, Issue No.6, pp : 390-395, June, 2014.
- JyotiKoujalagi, B.Umamaheswari and R.Arumugam , “ Exploring the behavior of Switched reluctance Generator under normal and field weakening mode of operation’, International Journalof Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Vol.5, No : 3, 2012, pp.317-328.
- S.Manivannan, R.Arumugam,S.Prasannadevi,N.M.Sudharsan and S.Paramasivam, “An Experimental investigation and optimization of flat plate heat sink”, International Journal of Power Electronics, Vol.4, No: 4, pp.340-359, doi: 10.1504.IJPELEC.2012. 049028, 2012.
- R.Karthikeyan and R.Arumugam, “Performance analysis of a soft magnetic composite Switched Reluctance Generator”, European Journal of Scientific research, Vol. 83, No: 4, 2012, pp.545-557, (SNIP 0.493, SJR 0.033).
- KkV.Chandrasekar, S.Prabhu and R.Arumugam, “ Design and Implementation of a lowspeed switched Reluctance Hub Motor”, Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol.12,Edn.1, 2012, pp.167-174.
- JyothiKoujaalgi, B.Umamaheswari and R.Arumugam , “ Performance prediction of Switched Reluctance Generator with time average and small signal models”, Frontiers in Energy, doi: 10.1007/s11708-012-0216-8, Dec.2012.
- R.Karthikeyan, K.Vijayakumar and R.Arumugam , “Soft magnetic composite switchedreluctance generator – Fabrication and Analysis” Journal of Advanced MaterialsResearch , Vol.383-390, 2012, pp. 5516-5521, doi : .4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.383-390.5516.
- S.Prabhu, V.Chandrasekar, P.Karthikeyan, N.C.Lenin and R.Arumugam“ Vibration andThermal Analysis of switched reluctance hub motor”, European Journal of ScientificResearch, Vol.68, No: 1, 2012, pp.12-20, ISSN 1450-216X.
- L.JessiSahayaShanthi, R.Arumugam and Y.K.Taly, “A novel rotor position estimation approachfor a 8/6 solid rotor switched reluctance motor”, Neural Computing and Applications, Vol.21,No: 3, April 2012, pp.461-468, impact factor : 0.699.
- G.Venkatesan and R. Arumugam , ‘‘Power Factor correction for Switched ReluctanceMotor Drive’, International Journal of Electrical Engineering and Embedded Systems,Vol.2 , No:1, January – June 2010, pp.79 -83.
- N.C.Lenin and R. Arumugam, ‘‘A Novel Linear Switched Reluctance Machine :Analysis and Experimental Verification”, American Journal of Engineering and AppliedSciences Vol.3 , No:2, 2010, pp.433- 440.
- G.Venkatesan and R. Arumugam, “Power factor Improvement in Switched Reluctance Motor Drive”, Journal of Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 10, No:1, 2010.
- L.JessiSahayaShanthi ,R.Arumugam, M.NileshTawri and S.Premkumar,“Comparison of AI based Position Estimation Techniques for Switched reluctanceMotor”, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol.1, No:26, 2010, pp.44 – 49.
- S.Manivannan, S.Prasanna Devi , R.Arumugamand N.M.Sudarsan, “ Multiobjective optimization of flat plate heat sink using Taguchi- based Gray relational analysis”,International Journal of Advanced manufacturing Technology, Springer, DOI :10.1007/00170-010-2754-8, June 2010.
- P.Karthikeyan, K.Vijayakumar and R.Arumugam, “Study on Switched ReluctanceGenerator for Rural Electrification”, International Journal of Computer Applications,(0975-0887), Vol.6, No: 3, September 2010, pp.11-17.
- L.JessiShayaShanthi, R.Arumugam and Y.K.Taly, “ A Novel rotor position estimationapproach for an 8/6 Solid rotor Switched Reluctance Motor”, Neural Computational andApplication, Springer- Verlag, September 2010 (DOI 10.1007 / s 00521-010-0447-8).
- N.C.Lenin and R.Arumugam, “Analysis and Experimental Verification of a LinearSwitched Reluctance Motor having Special Pole Shape”, Majlesi Journal of ElectricalEngineering, Vol.4, No.2 June 2010, pp. 1-7.
- N.C.Lenin , R.Arumugam and V.Chandresekar, “ Force Profiles of a Linear SwitchedReluctance Motor having Special pole face shapes”, Journal of Electrical and ComputerEngineering, Vol.10, No. 4, June 2010.
- S.Manivanan, R.Arumugam, S.Paramasivam, P.Salil and B.S.Rao, “HFSS Simulation,experimental investigation and optimization of heat sink EMI”, IET Power ElectronicsJournal, 2010, Vol.3,No.6, pp. 881-891.