Dr. S. Tamil Selvi
Dr. S. Tamil Selvi
Experience: 13 Years
Area of Interest: Application of evolutionary algorithms to power system engineering problems
Contact Address: Room no: EEE block SSN.
Ph.D – (Full Time)
Distribution Transformer Design using Evolutionary Algorithms
Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Anna University
M.E. – (Regular)
Power System Engineering (2001 Nov)
Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai Kamaraj University
B.E. – (Regular)
Electrical & Electronics Engineering (1999 Apr)
Raja College of Engineering & Technology, Madurai Kamaraj University
GATE Qualified : 85.53 Percentile score
- Worked as Assistant Professor in Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering from June, 2015 to June 17, 2016.
- Pursued full time Ph.D as a research scholar in Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai from Feb 2012 to May 2015.
- Worked as Assistant Professor in Tagore Engineering College, Chennai from March 2010 to January 2012.
- Worked as Manager Trainee in OnSpec Legend Information Systems, Chennai from February 2007 to June 2009.
- Worked as lecturer in St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai from June 2005 to January 2007.
- Worked as lecturer in Adhiparasakthi Engineering College, Melmaruvathur from November 2003 to May 2005.
- Worked as lecturer in K.L.N College of Engineering, Madurai from June 2003 to September 2003.
- Worked as lecturer in St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai from May 2002 to April 2003.
Courses Handled:- UG
- Electrical apparatus and machine design
- Power system analysis
- Transmission and distribution
- Electric circuit analysis
- Control systems
- Network analysis and synthesis
- Electrical engineering
- Power system protection and switch gear
- Electrical machines I & II
- Environmental science and engineering
- Optimization Techniques
List of International Research Publications: (CITATION INDEX – 50 in Google Scholar)
- S.Tamilselvi, S.Baskar, L.Anandapadmanaban, K.Mohaideen Abdul Kadhar, P.R. Varshini, “Chaos-Assisted Multi Objective Evolutionary Algorithm to the Design of Transformer”, Soft Computing, Springer, pp: 1-18, April 2016, ISSN: 1432-7643, Impact factor: 1.27.
- S. Tamilselvi, S. Baskar, “Modified parameter optimization of distribution transformer design using covariance matrix adaptation evolution strategy”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems (IJEPES), ELSEVIER, volume 61, pp: 208 – 218, March 2014.
ISSN: 0142-0615; SNIP: 2.694; Impact factor (2013): 3.432.
- S. Tamilselvi, S. Baskar, “Covariance matrix adaptation evolutionary strategy for the solution of transformer design optimization problem”, Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2013, Part I, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, (LNCS) 8297, pp. 47–58, 2013.
ISSN: 0302-9743, SNIP: 0.02.
- S.Baskar, P.Subbaraj, S.Tamilselvi, M.V.C.Rao “Genetic algorithm solution to generator maintenance scheduling with modified genetic operators”, – IEE Proceedings – IET Generation, Transmission, Distribution, Vol. 150, No. 1, pp. 56-60, January 2003.
ISSN: 1751-8687; Impact factor: 1.307.
- S.Baskar, P.Subbaraj, S.Tamilselvi, M.V.C.Rao, “Genetic algorithm solution to Optimal Maintenance Scheduling (OMS) of generating units with modified genetic operators”,- Presented in 37th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, UPEC 2002 Proceedings, United Kingdom – Power System Operation and Control, Vol. 2, Session 4c – 7d, Oral Session – 5b, September 9-11, Staffordshire University, 2002.
Travel Fellowship received from UGC and AICTE for this research paper (During M.E) to get presented in the 37th International Power Engineering Conference UPEC 2002 held at University of Staffordshire, Stafford, UK, by my project supervisor, Dr.S. Baskar, Prof/EEE.
Publication in International Workshop
6. Delivered speech on ‘Transformer design issues and analysis’ to transformer manufacturers and industrial customers, in the workshop “Distribution Transformers performance evaluation through testing and analysis, held at Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), Bangalore on September 5th, 2014.
List of Research Works under Review:
7. “Energy efficient design of distribution transformers to achieve the lowest life time cost” submitted to IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
8. “Design of transformer using evolutionary algorithm by considering winding material and core step size selection”, submitted to IEEE Transactions on Magnetics.
Publication in MATLAB CENTRAL:
A MATLAB code is developed for Non-Dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm – II which can solve any complex real world multi-objective constrained optimization problem. It is published on-line at MATLAB CENTRAL to facilitate the researchers. Rating by users: ‘5’ & 74 Downloads (in last 30 days alone). The comments by the users and the code can be viewed in the below link.
- K. Srinivasan, S.Tamilselvi, ‘Power System Analysis’, Charulatha Publications, 2004
- K. Srinivasan, S.Tamilselvi, ‘High Voltage Engineering’, Charulatha Publications, 2004
- Invited Speaker in Workshop – Delivered speech on Transformer design issues and analysis for transformer manufacturers and industrial customers, in the workshop “Distribution Transformers performance evaluation through testing and analysis”, held at Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), Bangalore on September 5th, 2014.
- Attended one day International workshop on “Computational Intelligence in Engineering Applications”, Organized by Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, SRM university Kattankulathur, Chennai.
- Attended one day Short-term course on “COMSOL Multi Physics Modeling”, Organized by COMSOL Multiphysics Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore at Vestin Park, Chennai.
- Attended two days National Workshop on “Technical Documentation using LaTex”, Organized by Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kamaraj College of Engineering and Technology, Virudhunagar.
- Attended non formal one day Workshop on “Entrepreneurship”, Organized by Department of Chemical Engineering, Adhiparasakthi Engineering College, Melmaruvathur.
- Attended five days Mission 10X Training Programme on “High Impact Teaching Skills”, Organized by Dale Carnegie & associates, Inc Trainer and Wipro Technologies at Tagore Engineering College, Chennai.
- Attended two months software training course on “MATLAB and Toolboxes”, Organized by Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai.
- Attended one day software training course on “SciLab- Talk to A Teacher Project “, Organized by Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai.
- Attended one day Faculty Development Programme on “Computer Aided Engineering Simulation using COMSOL”, Organized by COMSOL Multiphysics Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore at Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, VIT Chennai.
Teaching Learning Process/Administration:
- Possess Mission 10x certified teacher award from Wipro Technologies.
- Designed two special elective course work subjects of my Ph.D course based on Blooms Taxonomy.
- Guided M.E. students research projects.
- Motivated B.E, and M.E students to take up In-house projects.
- Attended faculty development programs at various places for the growth of self and student society.
- Organized National Level Seminars, Workshops, Technical Symposiums
- CONVENOR for International Level Conference conducted at Tagore Engineering College.
- Arranging guest lectures for the benefit of the students and staff members
- Acted as a purchase committee member in purchasing latest lab items, machines at best quality in cheap prices.
- Co-ordinated NBA activities and its necessary file maintenance.
- Work experience on bug fixing embedded projects on various OnSpec controllers.
- Experience in developing firmware patch code in assembly language.
- Experience in developing Assembly Language Programming for 16 bit RISC Processors.
- Knowledge in USB, ATA/ATAPI, and SCSI Protocols.
- Knowledge in Architecture of Secure Digital, Memory Stick, and Compact Flash digital media.
- Knowledge in Protocols used in Secure Digital, Memory Stick, and Compact Flash digital media.
- Experience in NAND Flash Memory architecture and programming.
- Hiring skilled developers and giving depth firmware training to the trainees for pushing them to the floor of product production.
- Assessing performance of the firmware trainees periodically.
- Hiring skilled testers and giving them basic hardware testing training.